Monday, February 6, 2012

Hansel & Gretel by Brother Grimm & Lisbeth Zwerger

Lisbeth Zwerger, winnmer of the 1990 Hans Christian Anderson Medal,  brings to life this well known story of two children, Hansel and Gretel, who are abandoned in a forest on the order of their stepmother. Unable to find their way home, they come across the gingerbread house of a wicked witch who plans to fatten them up and eat them.  Their faith and cunning help them prevail. The illustrations are striking images and reinforce the contrast between two innocent young children and the sinister witch. 

2 comments:

  1. This is a great classic. At home I have a Treasury of Grimm, so I knowthe original well, probably better than the Disney version, which I don't think captured the essence of the story. I love this book :)
    Lucinda
    PS. Miss you Mrs. Coote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lucinda, I miss Illawarra too. I hope you are having a good grade 6 year. I had a chat to your dad the other day.
    Mrs C x

    ReplyDelete